Fort GreeneVille Chapter, Greenville, Ohio
Daughters of the American Revolution
Founded January 21, 1922
The organization of Fort GreeneVille Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, was effected January 21, 1922 with a membership of 16. Alice Hume (Mrs. Thomas Washington) Cooke was the organizing Regent. Her executive board was made up of: Miss Mary Waring, Vice Regent; Mrs. T.R. Hughes, secretary; Miss Carrie Rush, treasurer; Mrs. Marion Murphy, registrar; and Mrs. George Katzenberger, historian.
The Chapter received its Charter February 24, 1923.
The Chapter took the name “Fort GreeneVille” from an historical event. In the fall of 1793 and the spring of 1794 General Anthony Wayne erected a fort and named it “Fort Greenville” in honor of General Nathaniel Greene, his friend and fellow officer in the Revolutionary War. The celebrated “Treaty of Greenville” was made here in 1795. The Fort was burned in 1796 and the original plot of the present city of Greenville was laid out on this site in 1808.
In April of 1945 the Chapter membership was made up of 29 members living in Greenville and 23 living in other towns or cities.
In 1946, Mrs. Nellie Garst Menke, National #218018, gave her family home, the Garst house, to the Fort GreeneVille Chapter for a meeting place and historical museum. It was decided the project would succeed better under the management of the Darke County Historical Society, and Mrs. Mac Stoltz, a Chapter member, was the first curator. In the ensuing years, the Garst House has undergone extensive remodeling, and with significant additions is one of the most beautiful museums in Ohio. The institution now houses the collections of Darke Countians Annie Oakley and Lowell Thomas, as well as a large collection of Indian artifacts and Americana.
HISTORY OF THE STUDABAKER SCHOOL
In 1840, Abraham Studabaker donated the land that now lies along Ohio State Route 49, south of Greenville, for the construction of a schoolhouse. The site was 3 miles south of the fortifications created by General “Mad” Anthony Wayne in Greenville on a branch of the Stillwater River. The construction was the first brick schoolhouse in Darke County.
In 1846, the Studabakers deeded the building over to School District 14.
The school was deeded to George Studabaker of the Greenville Township Board of Education in 1869. The school was known as the Studabaker School and also as the Beehive School.
The schoolhouse was presented to the Fort GreeneVille Chapter by Frank Travis Conkling and was restored through the efforts of the chapter with financial aid from the Works Progress Administration. Restoration was completed in 1957 and a plaque was dedicated.
Rededication services were held in 1976 as part of the bicentennial observation. The Studabaker Schoolhouse was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on June 15, 1978 by the United States Department of the Interior.
The Fort GreeneVille Chapter met on Saturday, June 16, 2001 for a luncheon after which a chapter member gave a brief history of the schoolhouse. The members and guests present made a visit to the schoolhouse, this time for the dedication a new U.S. flag donated by the VFW Ladies Auxiliary Post 7262, Greenville, a recently installed light that will permit the flag to fly continuously, and a bronze plaque commemorating the status of the schoolhouse on the National Register of Historic Places.
An impressive ceremony for the dedication of the light was presented.
In May, 2003, several chapter members purchased and planted a historic Minuteman Red Maple tree on the schoolhouse grounds.
We, the Chapter members, all take pride in our schoolhouse, as we do in our country and our heritage.
Our members are from Greenville and surrounding towns such as Troy, West Milton, Union, Celina, Tipp City, Brookville, Versailes, and others. We have a number of members that live outside the state.
Our chapter meets at various locations in and near Greenville, Ohio. We meet monthly on Saturday, September through June, excluding, January. Our meetings are generally in the afternoon. Some of our meetings offer lunch and brunch.
Interested in membership in the DAR? Please feel free to contact us via e-mail.
Last Updated: April 2008 Webmaster